Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"Reclaiming Time" - N.T. Wright

"The reclaiming of time as God’s good gift (as opposed to time as simply a commodity to be spent for one’s own benefit, which often means fresh forms of slavery for others) is not an extra to the church’s mission. It is central." - N.T. Wright, Surprised by Hope.

As one who naturally thinks in terms of tools (utility), this . . . hurts. My natural instinct is contrary to the idea of time as a gift, a good gift, a gift not to be taken lightly nor used like a dish-towel.
- Nor am I to re-activate my Time Systems(c), my Day-at-a-Glance(c) account. I need a new perspective. I need to see time as more 'holy' than I have. This is actually a heart/motive issue first; for me, this is a soul-problem.

While not a directly Scriptural command, this thought strikes me as a powerful understanding of how my context (me & my choices in my culture) thwarts my praying, "YOUR will be done on earth as it is done in heaven."



[Thanks to Tara for pointing out this quote]

No comments: